Sunday, January 31, 2010

Meatballs, Coffee Cakes, & Migraines

Nobody would ever order anything like that from a menu. I mean really good meatballs and a light, moist coffee cake are always good choices; but nobody wants a migraine. Neither do I, but during the month of January I've had 8 of them. They kind of wear me down and I'm usually left pretty drained the next day, so the Cookbook Challenge of 2010 has slowed abit, but it has by no means stopped!


On to cookbook #111, I have used this book before and I've always liked the results. It has pretty simple, really tasty dishes in it. So, when I wanted something sweet on a Saturday afternoon, this is the book I grabbed. "Quick Coffee Cake" was the recipe, and it was very quick, very light, and very sweet. A perfect combination, it hit the spot. The only problem with the "Quick Coffee Cake" is that I can never again make it when it's just Don & I eating it...I could not stop eating it, so the next time I make it, here has to be at least 10 people here, or I have to take it to work, it will definitely disapper there!


After two weeks of headaches, I thought I would make my selection for Cookbook #110...this one took a little longer than the previous selections, I think the migraines played a part in that. I landed on a book I remember just absolutely having to have, I couldn't bear to leave the bookstore without it. That was 5 years ago and I've never used it, until now. I plucked "The Complete Book of Sauces" from the shelf and proceeded to actually read it! What to make...hmmmm. I settled on a "Sicilian Sauce", bought the ingredients and we were off! Part way through though, it felt as if steps or ingredients were missing. When all was said and done, it was okay, but it tasted alot like canned sauce-without the "tinniness", not really what I wanted after 1 1/2 hours of work. So I was bit bummed, then I found the chapter on fresh sauces. I made a Pico de Gallo which was really good. Did I mention that it also has an entire chapter on flavored and whipped butters....yummmmmmmmm!



Cookbook #109, or should I say #109, #108, and #107. You see when I orginally counted my cookboks, which is how this challenge started, I thought I had 3 different versions of this particular book, but as it turns out, they're all the same and all from 1954! The drawings are very cool to see, and the section names are too fun..."Teenage Gatherings", "Dessert Parties", & "How to pack a 4-star lunch". So, I'm thinking that 3 new recipes from these books should keep everything on the up and up, challenge-wise! Today it was "Lazy Daisy Meatballs", I couldn't resist a title like that! I had to modify this recipe abit though, because I didn't think I had enough salt in the house to fulfill the recipe requirement...it was crazy!!!! Not bad, almost a stroganoff taste to them, and not as heavy as I thought.

So, this week it will be onto the next two recipes from this book..I mean books! Maybe I'll use the chili recipe, I have a Chili Cookoff at work on Thursday! Tonight though it's the Grammy awards, I am a sucker for award shows! Our snackies are made, Lazy Daisy Meatballs, Paula Deen's Crab Cakes, and good 'ole hot dogs and sauerkraut, add a favorite beverage or two and I'm all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment