Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Zippers and Pasta Fagioli......

I put a zipper in!!!!!! I actually put a zipper in!!!! Wait, just one more time...I put a zipper in!!!! Just to make sure we're on the same page, the zipper I put in wasn't in a dress, a shirts, or a pair of jeans...it was in a bag. You know... the ones you carry around in bigger bags to hold alot of small stuff! I have made, or attempted, to make zippered bags before, and I tried to follow every step in the directions(for those of you who know me realize how challenging that can be for me) They always came out looking as if they had been run over by a car, they were crooked, uneven, and didn't really sit right.

But that has all changed now! (I say with much excitement after successfully making only 1 bag!) I bought the latest Quilts & More magazine, and there it was.... an article with pictures that I actually understood, that made sense to me. The previous pattern had you putting in the zipper as the last step(not pretty!) but this had it as the first steps. Then my Mom gave me another hint to press down the seam allowance on each half of the bag and simply stitch down onto the zipper, then put the rest of it together( which is just the side seams and the bottom...the possibilites this has opened up. Zippered totes, zippered pockets in zippered totes, zippers...zippers..zippers.....guess what everyone is getting THIS Christmas!!!!!

There is just one problem. Which zippers do I use? I have a drawer full of zippers I was collecting for a new piece I wanted to work on...all funky colors, some with teeth missing....guess off to the store I go. Sometimes one must sacrifice for one's art!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, very nice indeed. I love the little bag you made. What about the pasta fagioli ? Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete