Monday, February 16, 2009

Salt, crayons, and irons..oh my

I love experimenting...looking at something and wondering what else can be done with this object.. ."What would happen if..." just may be my favorite phrase. And, if you're like me, you've used adhesives, a variety of water soluble stabilizers, inks, paints, seemingly un-necessary plastic objects, and wire. No, not all on the same piece, but hey you never know. And something is sagging, fading, or just not looking very happy. (I experience this personally on certain days when I look in the bathroom mirror, but I digress.)

I found out that no matter how much time, effort, and sweat you put into a piece, not every product does what it says it will do. I've also learned that sometimes you really SHOULD read the directions, and sometimes maybe you just shouldn't have gone there in the first place.

So, here's a few things that you probably already figured out. It always takes me a little longer.......

1. Using Seta Color paints(which I love and highly recommend.) Be careful if you use salt and the paint. Table salt is so fine that after you've gotten the effect you want, you think you have it all off, you don't. If you sew with that piece, as I did, and that fine salt goes down into your sewing machine-which you can't see, and let's say you have one of the worst weeks in terms of humidity, it isn't pretty what happens. Rust forms quickly. I was shocked when I saw the damage. After a visit to my sewing machine repair shop, I had to buy a new bobbin case, and although I always cleaned my machine after a project I have to do it more often. I was very lucky. If you use salt-use a bigger grain of salt, or just quickly rinse the piece. I have friends who have been to classes where they show you this technique and don't tell you to make sure you get rid of all of the salt. (Funny side note, my friends said that with all of the experimentation I've done with my machine, sewing metal, wire etc, they were shocked that I hadn't done damage before!
2. Old kitchen appliances are not always the best sewing room tools. I know this may sound funny, but I try to look at things in a different light. Not always successful. So, when my old food processor had only 1 blade left, I thought.."Wow imagine how fast I can crush crayons up in this! I'll be melting these suckers onto a piece in no time" Once the ringing in my ears subsided and my sense of smell returned-who knew crayons could be so potent-the last thing I wanted to do was add heat-I wasn't sure I could take anymore. It's also tough to clean crayon wax off those sharp blades, the little spatula they give you really isn't up to the task......
3. In our house, we have 2 irons. This is very important. After using fusibles, ironing over paints and inks, or using the iron to help heat wire so you can manipulate it easier, it isn't good to use the same iron for, let's say dress shirts before a big meeting at work. Plus, having two or more ironing board covers you can switch out is good too, stuff just seems to spread and seep when heat is applied and it never stays on the protective sheet you put down on the board. You just have to remember to switch them....all I can say here is..... my poor husband.

I love experimenting with fabric, and wire, and plastic, and all sorts of fun things. It's my way of recycling and creating something new all at the same time, plus I ilke things that have a history! So, I think I'll just keep on experimenting, and learning and finding space on my walls for my own little gallery. My poor husband....hey does anybody smell crayons....

No comments:

Post a Comment