Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve 2009

Wow, I can hardly believe it..another New Year's Eve is here. Another year to look back on, take stock of, and use to move forward with. I lost another dear friend this year, in October..we lost Elizabeth in October 2008..and my Gram in October a few years back....I'm beginning to not really like October.... The radio industry has certainly taken a hit in the past year, we've had rounds of layoffs, mandatory furloughs, and no raises in site. When I look back at this past year, there's a wash of fear and worry over almost everything...which needs to end before it just keeps taking and taking the joy from my life.

I think that's why I am enjoying challenging myself with cooking something from each of my cookbooks in the coming year and learning new techniques from my fiber arts/sewing books. It is a good reminder of what I already have, what's been sitting on my shelves all the while I worried about "what if they lay me off...". I am very lucky with all that I have, I don't want to take it for granted, and I want to keep learning and growing no matter what happens in my job or in my life.  As my dear friend Esther, who we lost this past October, always said..."none of us has ever had control over our lives...so why the panic now..nothing has changed." I'd like to think that Esther would approve of my little challenge to myself.

The other thing I like about my challenge is that it brings back memories of those I've lost or those who are back home. When I make green beans..I can hear Gram telling me to cook them in beef broth..it will make them taste great. If I make spaghetti with lots of green peppers..I feel like I'm back in her kitchen in Gibsonia. When I roast peppers or try my hand at seafood, I can't help but think of Elizabeth who taught me so much! She was an angel...if you got close enough to her you could almost hear her wings.When I make anything from scratch, without a mix, or bake anything..I always think of my Mom...looking back she was amazing while we were growing up..(she is still amazing!!!) of course I don't think I appreciated it at the time...Homemade everything and even though I didn't pay the closest of attention while she cooked..I did pick up a few things and I can remember watching her do things, plus she is always ready to help me out whenever I call..and she doesn't leave ingredients out of the recipe like her Mother-In-Law did to her-can you imagine!!!

So, this challenge helps me in so many ways and even though, so far, all of the recipes have been successful, that may not always be the case. But, I'm not too worried, because it already has done me good and I think that will only increase as the year goes on and maybe, just maybe, on next New Year's Eve there will be a wash of joy, love, and laughter over almost everything.....

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment