Sunday, December 27, 2009

thoughts on cooking and sewing goals for 2010

I usually write a list of goals for myself around this time every year. they aren't typical goals like...lose 10 pounds or stop eating chocolate or try to de-stress...no these are goals I think I can actually attain (or at least have a better shot at attaining!)
Usually I write this list on a really BIG sheet of paper and hang it in my sewing studio, aka Beth's clubhouse, but this year I thought I'd write it here. I think the fact that I have recently watched "Julie & Julia" may have helped that decision a bit! I was really impressed...to give oneself a really specific goal, with a time limit. I though that's a great idea...how can I use this and apply it to my own life...this is what I came up with....

Cooking:
(since I not only cook our meals but all of the meals for my Mother-in-law, this where I thought I'd start)

1. I own 117 cookbooks, the most recent one a Christmas gift from my husband, "Mastering the art of French Cooking" by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck---this book is amazing, but I digress...back to the point...not only will I not buy another cookbook this year, I will cook 1 recipe from each book by December 27, 2010.

Sewing:

1. I will not buy any new fabric in 2010..I will use what I have for any project I work on...however gifts of fabric can and will excitedly be accepted!
2. I own approximately 60 books on fiber art, sewing machine techniques, quilting books, etc. therefore I will actually read these books and will try 3 techniques from each book by December 27, 2010.
3. The only items I will buy this year for my sewing in the coming year will be needles; sewing machine maintenance items..ie oil, cleanings etc.; and threads.
4. I will allow myself to have 1 night every week in my sewing studio..even if all I do is rearrange fabric! I can't create if I am not in my space.

Okay, I think that's it....hmmm maybe losing 10 pounds, not eating chocolate, and trying to de-stress would be easier!!!!! I'll let you know how it's going!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment